Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Things My Son Showed Me

Okay, starting a new posting theme tonight.  #ThingsMySonShowedMe is stemming from him getting sidetracked while working online and wanting to share with me stuff that he found.  For the record, I'm benefiting from it tonight!


Tonight Mancub1 (the internet name I gave my son many years ago) shared a few Google Extensions and Chrome apps that he found in the Back to School collection in the Chrome Webstore. All of these could be applicable to students or teachers.  He earned dinner tonight with these gems.

Highly Highlighter
I don't think he realizes how golden this extension actually is. Highly is an extension that lets you highlight text or multiple sections of text and then easily share it via Twitter, FBook, email, etc. If the recipient also has the Highly extension, then he can view the actual highlights in his browser.  My request would be to have it integrated with Buffer.com.

Grammarly
I shared the Grammarly extension with M1 some time ago. Tonight, however, it's a great thing worth sharing with me!  Ha!! (Love ya son!) Grammarly does realtime grammar checking, (like catching that there should be a hyphen in real-time), make good suggestions when hovering over red underlines, and even send a weekly report to me via email.  It won't work within Google Apps, but does work in most text-entry windows and Blogger, thank goodness.

Notepad
This is a Chrome App that opens a floating notepad in the browser. It's a very simple that floats over your browser while you dig through other websites. Type your notes and save them to the computer or print them.  M1 likes it for taking notes while he was enduring the online textbook tonight.

Periodex
This Chrome app came up as, "I wish I had this last year!" Periodex is a clean periodic table of elements with the correct shell illustrations and detailed information that could have been used during Chem homework.

He wanted to share more with me, but homework still loomed and I realized I'd be up late enough as it is, checking all of these out. So be looking for the next installment of, #ThingsMySonShowedMe .

What has a student or child of yours shared lately? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

No comments: