Friday, August 19, 2016

Welcome To The Next Iteration!

There are tons of blogs about accepting change, surviving change or being defeated by change.  I've renamed this old blog, "The Next Iteration" because there are a number changes to my life that are effectively just another version of an old thing.

A new school year brings clean-smelling schools and shiny, waxed floors. It looks new, but it is the next version of the previous year in many ways.  Teachers are spending many hours before school starts, preparing rooms, materials and lessons like they did the year before.  Students are at home, many nervously, for a few more days, waiting to wear new clothes to school and find out what the classroom will be like. Parents are bracing for the annual flood of paperwork and signups that flow into the homes after the first day of school.

It seems like a lot of same old scenario. But with each iteration of an event, there is the hopeful possibility of improvement and enhancement.  Sports tech continually evolves, providing enhancements for the athletes. Usually the newer versions of cars provide improvements that help the cars perform better than the previous version. Computer technology iterations continue to provide faster, smaller, more responsive, etc devices every year.

Our schools are no different.  Many teachers have been spending weeks of their summer time away from school, sitting in training and finding new skills and resources to help them meet the needs of today's students. District curriculum providers have been working tirelessly to improve the curriculum that all teachers will be using during the year.  Austin ISD is working to make this iteration much better than the last.

The district's goal of Reinventing Urban Education drives programs like the new Technology Design Team housed in the Technology Department.  Previously, the four Instructional Technology Facilitators have been providing valuable instructional and technological support for 133 campuses. This summer, Instructional Technology was once again dissolved in order to make room for another iteration of support.  The Technology Design Team was created over last Spring and has grown to include 18 Technology Design Coaches, 3 Technology Design Coach Leads and a Director of Technology Integration.  This exciting iteration of technology support will provide direct coaching support for 10% of every campus this year. These Technology Cohorts will be learning new ways to transform their instructional practice to meet the needs of today's students in more effective ways.

I will be blogging throughout the year and will be sharing experiences from classrooms as well as continuing to share strategies for using technology in better and transformative ways.  Please feel free to click the Follow button on the right side of this blog and follow along on this journey. This should be a good ride.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the general feel of this, Howard. I openly said last year I was getting a little bored with the whole...set up new room, displays, teach same lessons thing. Last year I tried a few things to brighten up the days. Allowing myself to have more fun in teaching yet still remaining as hard working and dedicated to outcomes as usual. I really appreciate the effort and enthusiasm everyone starts the year with. I'm going to make it my goal to help people maintain it through the year! And I plan to have loads of fun! Enjoy writing the blogs Howard! -Matt

Unknown said...

Matt, You are a great enthusiasm broker for people and I know that those around you will benefit from your joy during the year. Thanks for leaving a comment. Hope it didn't cost airmail postage from the UK! ha ha!

Lindsay Foster said...

I look forward to hearing more about the new reconceptualization of service to students and educators in Austin ISD. I know that you will continue to provide incredible service and servitude to those whom you serve, no matter what your capacity within the paradigm. Keep me posted!

Unknown said...

Will do Lindsay! Thanks for the comment.