Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Google Apps Isn't Just For Older Students

One challenge of mine is to regularly bow down at the feet of Pre-K and Kinder teachers. I loved my own Mancubs when they were that age, but teach a room full of them?  These teachers are special people!


Another challenge of mine is to meet the Ed Tech needs of my teachers of our earliest learners. I have picked up skills and strategies over the years, but I just found Christine Pinto's work online with #GAFE4Littles.  (Find her online - Twitter: @PintoBeanz11 ,  christinepinto.com )  This is a fantastic collection of ideas and strategies for using Google Apps For Education with our youngest students.

Christine's post on Using GAFE The First Time shares her successes and things she would do better the next time. Coming from an active teacher of 4-5-year-olds, her experiences can be very valuable to teachers interested in providing a creative environment for students in the classroom.

I have yet to join her #GAFE4Littles Twitter Chat, but she is providing a Tuesday 7pm CST that looks like a great place for teachers of the Littles to gather and learn from each other.

Some of her ideas are great for any age student.  She used Alice Keeler's Pixel Art template to have her students create spreadsheet pictures and eventually graph math concepts in her Transitional Kindergarten classroom.  Share that with coding-interested students and you will find some very creative thinkers making higher-res images or other products using conditional formatting in a spreadsheet.

I have learned over the years that you look for people who do things better or differently than yourself. Teachers of Early Childhood students are a gift to our schools and I hope to find more resources like Christine Pinto to share with this special group.

What is your favorite Early Childhood resource or strategy?  Please share below in the comments!

5 comments:

Beatriz Garcia said...

Mr. Martin! Very cool blog--thanks for highlighted EC. As a Kinder teacher, last year I tapped into the use of technology with a fantastic app called "Write About This!" The use of technology in our Kindergarten classrooms increased exponentially. While this app is geared for upper elementary, with a lot of modeling and foundational work, my students were writing two small sentences by EOY! It was so awesome. A little different from Google Apps, but nevertheless tech interegrated.

-B. Garcia

BGarcia said...

For highlighting*

Unknown said...

Beatriz, you are very welcome. I look forward to sharing more ideas that I learn from the Kindergarten classrooms. I will check out your app soon and look to add it to my EC collection.

Thanks for leaving a comment today. I value input from readers! Have a great year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the little ones tips! I'm going to follow Christine and absorb all I can!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Sharon. It's a young site, but already lots of good information.