Sunday, April 10, 2005

Monday Science

The quality of last Friday's post was much better. Keep in mind that, while this may be fun, you are working on your writing skills.

Think about this. A full moon is when you see the entire moon at night. A quarter moon is when you see just a piece (a fourth) of the moon at night. So what does the term 'new moon' mean? We happen to have a new moon at night right now. If you don't know, make a prediction.

In a related question, how does the moon 'make' so much light during a full moon? Explain.

Now, since I'm asking you to write more than just a couple of sentences, if you need more to write about, AFTER you answer the science questions, you can tell us about a favorite memory that you have.

Peace!
Mr. M

59 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sun is giving shadows to the moon. If the shadow is small it will be a 3/4 of an the moon if there is no shadows the moon will be full.My faverate memory was when I saw my nephew.

Anonymous said...

I heard that the moon shines because the light from the moon reflects from the light from the sun. I heard it in a Linkin Park song, who knew that a rock band could teach you??
I dont really know what it is to have a knew moon. I know full moon, half moon, quarter moon, solar eclipse, you name it. But I dont know what a know what a new moon is. Maybe its when the moon goes around the earth and the clouds cover it 'till you cant see it anymore. Then it comes back out and its a new moon. I dont know, maybe. Well, See Ya!

Anonymous said...

I THINK THE NEW MOON IS WHEN THE MOON IS PICTH BLACK AND YOU CAN'T REALLY SEE IT BECAUSE THE MOON IS NO LONGER AT FULL MOON OR QUATER MOON..THATS WHAT I HAERDWELL THATS MY OPINION PLEASE TELL ME IF I'M WRONG OR NOT BECAUSE I'M NOT SURE.THE OTHER QUESTION ABOUT HOW THE MOON PRODUCES LIGHT IS I HAVE NO IDEA ^-^ SORRY! SO DO ANY OF YOU HAVE AN IDEA. BYE SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS LETTERING IM SO LAZY I DID NOT FELL LIKE REWRITING. PEACE DUDE (BON JOVI )^^ (REMEMBER THAT SIGN MEANS SMILEY FACE)^^

Anonymous said...

I agree woth BR. His explination is WAY better than mine. It sounds more scientific.
Sorry, I didnt read the whole thing...my favorite memory is probably when I went to Disney World with my grandma, step-grandpa, sister, aunt, uncle, and my mom. I got to go on almost every ride because my grandma will do anything to get us in the first in line.
BYE!

Anonymous said...

HEY NOEL WHO LINKIN PARK BAND?~_~(THAT MEANS I'M CONFUSED)

Anonymous said...

I think when the moon is full, it shines the most because the sun is is shining on the whole object, because while the moon orbits , the sun will be able to catch a glimpse of the moon fully.As it gets further the moon will get turn into a half-moon, quater-moon, and last a new-moon.

Anonymous said...

MY FAVORITE MEMORY IS ......EVERY GOOD MEMORY IN MY HEAD ^^ YAH .OR WAS IT WHEN I GOT MY DOG RUBY?SHES SO CUTE^^

Anonymous said...

PG, Linkin Park is a really cool rock band. You can ask I.O. about them...he likes them too. They have a song called numb/encore. its cool
but I dont really like it. They put JZ in it(rock and rap...bad mix). Well, I also agree with you on the moon part...like BR's, its better than mine. BYE!

PS- YOU CANT PUT MY NAME!

Anonymous said...

I think new moon means that the moon is not visible or somthing,I don't really know.The reason that when theres a fool moon its brighter than half a moon because if its bright all ready.The bigger the moon the more brighter it is.{I think} One of my memorys is when I was in third grade I went to Disney Land on spring break.That was really fun.At night I saw some stars,there wasn't as many stars as I thought.I went on roller cousters,those tea cups that make you dizey,a haunted mansion,and a ton of other stuff.there is a lot of other memorys but it would take 2 hours.bye.

Anonymous said...

SOMEBODY WRITE MORE SO I CAN READ I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY THANK YOU ^^ OH YEAH THIS ^_~ IM WINKING I KNOW ITS VERY CHEESY

Anonymous said...

Mr.M,
I think a new moon means we have no moon at all. My mom explained that the moon goes though a cycle and the moon takes about 1 month to go though this cycle. Every month or so we have a new moon, full moon, a half moon, a cresent moon, and then the cycle starts all over.
The moon does not 'make' its own light,I think. I think the moon reflects light from stars and the sun. During half moons we do not see as much light because it only reflects half of the light a full moon does. The same with the cresent moons. With new moons we have no light in the sky exept for stars.
Well thats what I think!!

Anonymous said...

SORRY N.M ^^ I FORGOT ^^ FOR REAL! IT WAS AN HONEST MISTAKE.

Anonymous said...

I think new moon is when the moon goes around the earth and comes back new.The reason the moon is bright because it reflects light from the sun.So it looks shiney.My favorite memory is when I had 10 friends over and we stayed up all night.

Anonymous said...

A new moon is when the earth's shadow eclispes the moon.There's no 'earth shadow' blocking the moon's light.My favorite memory is going to Jakie's or to meet my two best friends Julian and Gabe.bye!

Anonymous said...

Lets say that the moon you have only seen half of it. Then you go out one night and you see all of it. Thats what i think a new moon is. to answer your question about how does the moon make so much light during a full moon? well i think it would be beccause there is more moon to 'soak' up the light. that is my guess. by the way i dont really have any favorite moment because any time i get to spend time with my hole family is a moment i will never forget!:)(:

Anonymous said...

In 4th grade, one kid did a science project on the moon. I learned tht a new moon is when you cannot see the moon.
The moon makes so much light whenever there is a full moon because the sun is positioned to where it reflects on the moonfull on to where we are positioned. The moon does not give off light. It reflects light, like the earth. So when the sun is positioned right, it reflects more light.
One of my favorite memories was whenever I was in the classroom eating lunch with group six, ZT made me laugh,and milk came out of my nose. It was so funny. I had to stay late to clean the desks. It still smelled like milk though.
I can't type very well because I was practicing volleyball,
and i sprained my finger. It is taped to my other finger. It is purple.

Anonymous said...

A new moon is were you cant see the moon.Its getting refershed,its new.Or its when you cant see it then like the next day you can see it.I dont relly know.
But i do agree with B.R,sounds right.NM,who really knew a rock band can teach you.
My favorite memory is when I went to Schliterbon with my friend.We whent down this hill and she fell off her tube.It was so funny!

Anonymous said...

I agree with NM linkin Park is a cool band too.

Anonymous said...

z.t. did your friend get hurt if not it would not ge funny. just kidding i hope she/he is o.k.

Anonymous said...

The moon is reflecting light from the sun.That is how I think it works.I am not very sure.Becuase some times I see the moon in the day.My favorite memory is when I stoped weting the bed when I was 3 years old!And I am proud of it!

Anonymous said...

A new moon is when,well you know when the moon gets smaller like one forth well when it's now a full moon that's a new moon.If the moon is half of a moon then that's less light then a full moon.So that's why their is more light.

Anonymous said...

No she did not get hurt.I am not that evil.

Anonymous said...

Another cool memory is being in 5th grade.
You tower above all the rest of the school
I can't wait till middle school. I took this math placement test. It was all like X+Z+pi=... I had no idea. I worked through it though. Thanks Mr. M for teaching me how to ork through math problems. That math test was a good memory too. I went to theemergency room for my finger. I got a cool wrist band. Hee Hee

Anonymous said...

hello is anyone there?TALK PEOPLE!!
`

Anonymous said...

This place rocks

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you are not that evil ZT. ha ha

Anonymous said...

WHAT PLACE ROCKS?

Anonymous said...

Its not a chatroom, its a blog. Why don't you just wait till you get home. Thats what I do. :>

Anonymous said...

im sure im not that evil :}

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite memories is that one time when I was little me and my brother where running in the same direction and we hit each other's head and fell to the ground.It makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Linkin Park is a...uh...*-*...it's an Alternitive band who is a genorous sponsour to alot of charities and stuff.Go to music.yahoo.com okay,PG.That is my explanation...`-`we need more time to blog because on the 8th ED wrote to much and I had no time to write.bye!

Anonymous said...

the moon happens wen its night the sun gets blocked

Anonymous said...

mr.m i agree with gc i think that a new moon means that there is no moon at all,like i have a calender in my room and it tells each day what the moon looks like and it has what it is called and what it looks like.

Anonymous said...

A new moon is when the sun meets
the moon at a strait line to the
earth. duh!

Anonymous said...

I think that a new moon is when you cant see the it so I agree with pg and tsm but I dont really know that much about the moon so I could be wrong.I think the full moon is brighter because the sun is reflecting on more of the moon whitch produces more light.

Anonymous said...

my favorite memory is when i got my dog she was a puppy she was so cute we begged my dad for here

Anonymous said...

Bonjournor!(Hi in Itailian).I heard somewhere that the moon shines because because it's reflecting light from the sun.I think a new moon is when theres no moon at all.I was loking at a calender and on that day there wasn't a moon.I don't really have a favorite memory.I don't really know what a solar,lunar eclipse is.I just noticed that lunar comes from moon in spanish,luna!:)Adios Amigos!

Anonymous said...

i can not think of any think to write cause no one is writing., i tolled you what i think now what do you think.

Anonymous said...

I agree with NM.BR's description is "scientific".

Anonymous said...

I think a new moon is when the moon is pitch black and all you really see is the outline.At least that is what I think.I heard that the moon gives of a light because the sun shines light and the moon reflects the light so it appears to give off a light.Well that's all I got.

Anonymous said...

I also agree with PG. My favorite memory is all the good stuff in my head.Especially my puppy Vaz.Smiley's rock!!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite memories is when I used to live in San Diego, California It is so cool and I love it there I miss everithing about that place.YOU GUYS SHOULD REALLY TRY TO CONVINCE YOUR PARENTS TO TAKE YOU SOME TIME ITS GREAT!ANY ONE WHO SETS FOOT ON SAN DIEGO WILL LOVE IT.

Anonymous said...

I don't really have a favorite memory.My life ain't that great.

Anonymous said...

my favorite memory is when i got my best puppy, cb (chaceta bannana, spainish for small bannana), my worst memory is when i was in my back yard and my brother hit me in my nose!

Anonymous said...

THIS ISNT A CHATROOM!!!

Anonymous said...

ANOTHER GOOD MEMORY IS 5TH GRADE I GET TO BE WITH MY FRIENDS

Anonymous said...

I was reading the book LUCKY LADY but I left it at my house. so I have to read my other book UNDER THE CATS EYE. Its about an Indian boy named Jai. He goes mto this bording school but the teachers treat him better than the other kids like hes more special but Ive just started reading it. I went shopping yesterday but I didnt get what I wanted to get.

Anonymous said...

i agree with pd my life ain't that great ethier.

Anonymous said...

ag i dissagree with ag this blog is more sorte of a a chatroom.

Anonymous said...

I ALSO AGREE WITH PG AND AG BECAUSE THAT IS TRUE EVERY GOOD MEMORY IN MY HEAD IS MY FAVORITE MEMORY :)

Anonymous said...

I think the new moon is when it is
covered up by clouds and blocks the
moon it gets cleaned up by the
pressure of the clouds and is called a new moon. The moon has
somuch light is because when the
sun and the moon get behind each
other the sun has so much energy
that it goes into the moon and
fades in.

Anonymous said...

yo

Anonymous said...

I MISS CHUCK

Anonymous said...

I miss charlie.

Anonymous said...

la la la

Anonymous said...

i think p.g has gone crazy.mabye
we should just burry her alive
somewhere.wait... did i just say
that or did i think that.CAN YOU
HEAR ME!

Anonymous said...

WHOS CHUCK?

Anonymous said...

somebody stop puting anonymous it is kind of anoying because you dont know who wrote it.

Anonymous said...

what kind of name is anonymous?I can just imagine the names kids make up.Kids can be so cruel.