I love to teach the writing process and had been trained in the New Jersey Writing Project, so I wasn't afraid of it at all. But I wanted to try "different" out. I had dabbled in blogging and tried it with my students. It was a rather life-changing experience.
![]() |
| Not my students. From Dr.Wesley Fryer. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3780/9073676538_c794cda35c.jpg |
We had rules, of course. The first post was all about our Guidelines. There were to follow the rules or Mr Martin would rain fury down upon them. Well, that was my face-to-face comment, but I learned that it was not needed at all. They learned by doing. They self-policed.
"Don't use any names or identifying information." "Don't use bad language." One day, a student posted a comment with questionable language. Soon after, you read a comment from another student, "bob, you aren't supposed to .." That post fueled another student to share, "AC, you aren't supposed to post names!" I sat back and watched with pride.
Fifth graders learned the etiquette of NOT TYPING IN ALL CAPS and not repeating characters for graphic effect!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a progression of improvement that they bought into.
Students will often surprise the teacher when given a chance to do something new that is engaging and they find worth in. Want to start blogging? There are some great ways to step into that great student-empowering environment. Let's talk. I will be sharing some blogging-specific tools here in the near future.
Have you blogged with students? I'd love to hear about your experience or have you share the URL in the comments below!

No comments:
Post a Comment